Clarissa A. Bierstedt
Most trial lawyers are competitive by nature, and Clarissa Bierstedt is no exception. Pair her competitiveness with her tenacity and you have an attorney who has exactly what it takes to get the win for her clients. Clarissa focuses her practice on civil litigation including personal injury, commercial litigation, products liability, professional liability, contract disputes, and employment law.
Clarissa diligently represents a range of clients, from individuals to small businesses to large national corporations. Clarissa has obtained favorable jury verdicts, voluntary dismissals, and summary judgment rulings for her clients and regularly handles litigation with claims in excess of six figures.
While at Drake Law School, Clarissa was selected for the Opperman Scholar Program, which recognizes three outstanding students of exceptionally high achievement
and potential whose emphasis on learning influences and inspires others around them. She was also Captain of Drake’s National Moot Court Team and a
member of Drake Law Review. During her third year of law school, she served as an Iowa Supreme Court Administrative Intern and was also named to the
National Order of the Barristers, an honor society that recognizes lawyers who demonstrate exceptional skill in trial advocacy.
A sample of recent results:
- Summary judgment obtained on behalf of a business owner in a breach of contract lawsuit concerning issues relating to residential construction and real estate.
- Summary judgment on behalf of insurance agency in a professional liability lawsuit relating to a claim of failing to procure appropriate insurance coverage.
- Summary judgment of product defect and negligence lawsuit seeking in excess of $1.5 million in damages.
- A defense verdict following a jury trial of a professional liability lawsuit on behalf of insurance agency, relating to claims that agency made changes to coverage without insured’s consent.
- A favorable jury verdict of $10,000 in personal injury lawsuit involving claimed damages in excess of $200,000.
- A favorable settlement of $50,000 in a premises liability lawsuit claiming a traumatic brain injury and damages in excess of $1.8 million.
- Voluntary dismissal of medical malpractice lawsuit against dental practice following the filing of a motion for summary judgment.
What's the Fracking Problem?: Hydraulic Fracturing, Silica Sand, and Issues of Regulation, 63 Drake L. Rev. 639 (2015).
On a personal note
Outside of work, you can find Clarissa spending time with her husband and their daughter. She also enjoys spending time outside, including gardening, hiking,
traveling, and vacationing every summer at Lake Okoboji.
U.S. District Court, Northern & Southern Districts of Iowa
The Best Lawyers in America©: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, 2021
Dwight D. Opperman Scholar
Moot Court Board Vice President
National Moot Court Team Captain
Member of Drake Law Review
Supreme Court Administrative Intern
National Order of the Barristers
Lake Forest College (B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 2010)
Legal EducationDrake University (J.D., with high honors, 2015)
American Bar Association
Iowa State Bar Association
Polk County Bar Association
Iowa Organization of Women Attorneys
Polk County Women Attorneys
Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Iowa Defense Counsel Association
I love that Peddicord Wharton truly cares about its clients. Our firm's small enough to give personalized service but large enough to have access to resources to provide the very best counsel.